The Adventure of our Life

"For I know the plans I have for you..."

Monday, August 1, 2011

Eat Pray Love

Chris and I watched Eat Pray Love the other night and we both really loved it. The material was so clever and inspiring and funny and sad. I hope people don't take this the wrong way, but I completely identified with Julia Robert's character, Liz in so many ways. I know a lot of young women who would agree with me when they are brutally honest with themselves. I liked that they made her character so identifiable even if you aren't going through or had been through exactly what she experienced.

There were so many lines that jumped out at me, or resonated with me and spoke to my soul. I just wanted to share some of them with you. They are so good; I hope you will like them as much as I did and that it encourages you in some way. If you haven't seen the movie, go rent it! :)

"I've come to believe in something I call "The Physics of the Quest." A force in nature governed by laws as real as the laws of gravity. The rule of Quest Physics goes something like this: If you're brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting, which can be anything from your house to bitter, old resentments, and set out on a truth-seeking journey, either externally or internally, and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher and if you are prepared, most of all, to face and forgive some very difficult realities about yourself, then the truth will not be withheld from you."
"Attraversiamo: Let's cross over (let's trust each other)"
"People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.
A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake."
"Its not that I want easy, I just can't have so hard!"
"So BE lonely...Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings."
"Ruin is the road to transformation."
"Balance is not letting anyone love you less than you love yourself."
"I remember asking myself one night, while I was curled up in the same old corner of my same old couch in tears yet again over the same old repetition of sorrowful thoughts, 'Is there ANYTHING about this scene you can change, Liz?' And all I could think to do was stand up, while still sobbing, and try to balance on one foot in the middle of the living room. Just to prove that - while I couldn't stop the tears or change my dismal interior dialogue - I was not yet totally out of control: at least I could cry hysterically while balanced on one foot."
"You're going to have to learn to select your thoughts the same way you select your clothes every day. Now that's a power that you can cultivate. You want to come here and you want to control your life so bad work on the mind, and I don't think you should be trying to control a thing because if you can't master your thoughts you are in trouble forever."
  
"You don't need a man, you need a champion."
“In desperate love, we always invent the characters of our partners, demanding they be what we need of them, and then feeling devastated when they refuse to perform the role we created in the first place.”
"It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection."
"Do not apologize for crying. Without this emotion, we are only robots."
"You are, after all, what you think. Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions."
"Desiring another person is perhaps the most risky endeavor of all. As soon as you want somebody—really want him—it is as though you have taken a surgical needle and sutured your happiness to the skin of that person, so that any separation will now cause a lacerating injury"
"This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something. "
"Stop trying. just surrender. Why can't you just be?"
"If you clear out all that space in your mind that you’re using right now to obsess about this guy, you’ll have a vacuum there, an open spot – a doorway. And guess what the universe will do with that doorway? It will rush in—God will rush in—and fill you with more love than you ever dreamed."

"The inability to open up to hope is what blocks trust, and blocked trust is the reason for blighted dreams." 
"Maybe, you're a woman in search of her word."
"If you want to get to the castle, you've got to swim through the moat"
"One must always be prepared for riotous and endless waves of transformation."
"Do you think any of us know what were doing? Do you think there's any ways
humans can love each other without complication?...It's still two human
beings trying to get along so its going to become complicated. And love
is always complicated. But still humans must try to love each other,
darling. We must get our hearts broken sometimes. THIS IS A GOOD THING, HAVING A BROKEN HEART. IT MEANS WE TRIED FOR SOMETHING."
"There is so much about my fate that I cannot control, but other things do fall under the jurisdiction. I can decide how I spend my time, whom I interact with, whom I share my body and life and money and energy with. I can select what I can read and eat and study. I can choose how I'm going to regard unfortunate circumstances in my life-whether I will see them as curses or opportunities. I can choose my words and the tone of voice in which I speak to others. And most of all, I can choose my thoughts." 
"The only way to heal is to trust!"
 Aren't those great quotes? I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! And that they somehow will affect you in a good way....encourage you, or just to let you know you aren't alone in feeling what you feel or desiring what you do. Go buy the book or at least rent the movie! I think you'll like it! :)  
 Love,
Victoria 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment